What is a FIRST LEGO League State Championship?
It's a event at which 60 or more teams compete for the coveted Champion's Award which provides and invitation to the world championship in Atlanta in April. The teams have typically been working for hours beginning in late August to perfect the four areas of the competition. The highest combined score wins the Champion's Award.
The four areas are:
- A research project: This year the teams must identify a building in their community, research its energy usage, and propose solutions to improve the building.
- A teamwork interview: The team is interviewed and given some challenges to solve. They are scored on their ability to work together to accomplish the task.
- A technical interview: The team's robot and programming is reviewed by a group of engineers and scored for efficiency, innovation, and effectiveness.
- The table challenge: This is the big public event full of exciting accomplishments and agonizing failures. The teams have 2.5 minutes to complete a number of tasks on a table using autonomous robots. The missions must be flawless, the execution perfect. The goal: 400 point perfect score.
Want to see how much fun it is?
Check out our pics from the past three years.
|Time||Event||What to See...|
|9am -12pm||Judging begins|
- Watch the practice matches as teams make final adjustments in preparation for the main competition.
- Port Discovery should be there around 11am.
- There will be a LEGO play area as well.
- Engineering education related activities that will run through to the afternoon.
- There will be a couple of campus tours going on as well as a info session about the college.
- Note that the technical, project, and teamwork interviews are not open to the public.
|10:00am-11:30am||The JFLL Expo, Judging, and Displays|
- See the work of ten or more teams of young engineers (5-9 years).
- Explore their projects and research.
|12pm - 1 pm||Opening Ceremony for FLL and Closing for JFLL with keynote speakers.|
- See the JFLL teams receive their rewards.
- Hear the keynote speakers for the event.
- Enjoy the excitement of more than 700 enthusiastic young engineers.
|1pm - 4pm||Matches |
- Watch 72 teams battle it out for the best consistent scores in the robot challenge.
|4pm - 4:30 pm||Final championship elimination rounds.|
- The final 8 battle it out for the top score and hopefully a path to the Champion's award.
|4:30|| Ceremony for FLL|
- Teams are recognized for their hard work.
- Major awards given out.
Where exactly is the FLL State Tournament?
The expo will be held in conjunction with the Maryland FIRST LEGO Tournament at UMBC in the Retriever Activities Center.
University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250
View Larger Map
Back to top
Forest Hill, MD USA
Contact Marco Ciavolino
FIRST®, FIRST® Tech
Challenge, FTC®, FIRST® LEGO League, FLL®, Junior FIRST® LEGO® League,
and JrFLL®, are jointly held
trademarks of FIRST® (www.usfirst.org) and The LEGO Group, neither of which is
overseeing, involved with, or responsible for this activity, product, or