TechBrick has run or been involved in a number of FLLJr, FLL, FTC, and FRC tournaments. This are great events that bring all the amazing attributes of FIRST INSPIRES together. This includes items we have created for tournaments that may help you. We have provided source documents so you can copy at will.
A Great Way to Get Teams Talking to Each Other: Team Interviews
We needed to find a way to get teams at our qualfiers talking to eachother.
The answer: Team Interviews
- See the word document.
- Each student who wants to be included has to visit teach team or FLL Jr. team and write down their research topic and one observation about their project, robot, or team.
- Completed sheets are then deposited in a box.
- A drawing will be held at the closing ceremony.
Pick Good Awards
- You want something that will be undeniably awesome for young technologists.
- This year we are giving away a POWERUP 3.0 Smartphone Controlled Paper Airplane
Right Click and Choose "Save File/Target" to save file.
Sample Tournament Pack
Since 2011 we have run a local FLL qualifier for Maryland. Along the way we have created a Tournament Info pack that we updated each year.
This is a Microsoft Word Document and you will need to change all relevant information. Please edit and use at will.
Awesome Signs for Judging Rooms
Use this sign at qualifiers and touraments to remind the observing adults how to behave.
Many events allow one observer to be in the FLL judging rooms to record the session. However, too often these observers, having contributed 100's of hours, just cannot contain themselves. This sign gently reminds them to be invisible and unobtrusive.
- This the "Observer Effect" in which "...simply observing a situation or phenomenon necessarily changes that phenomenon." (See Article). I know this applies to Physics, but it's the same effect.
- Gurning: The sport of making funning faces (See article).
- Harvey: An invisible rabbit. "Harvey is a 1950 comedy-drama film based on Mary Chase's play of the same name, directed by Henry Koster, and starring James Stewart and Josephine Hull. The story is about a man whose best friend is a pooka named Harvey – in the form of a six-foot, three-and-a-half-inch tall invisible rabbit." (See article).
Super Fun Extra Trophies
TechBrick runs an FLL Qualifier Each Year. Of course, we have the standard awards required by FIRST. But then we add some of our own just for fun with these cool trophies. They are always a big hit with the teams!
We've used the Winged Pig for "Against all Odds"
We've used the Gears for "Oustanding Technical Achievement"
We will probably use the "Drag Racing" trophy for rookies award called "Best Startup"
We've used the Robot Trophy for "Best Ideas" award.
Here are some key sources: